Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Good School Day

I was awaken this morning to Kate whose Jane’s assistant director in New Zealand. She’s here while Will is away (again). I thought I might have dreamt it because it was fairly early but apparently I did not. I went back to bed and finally woke up at 10:30 (yes I realize I’m a bum). I had a new granola that I was trying out and I have to say: it’s not that great. I guess I should just stick to what I love but whatever you gotta try something new sometimes. But that wasn’t the problem. For some reason, the orange juice made me nauseous this morning. It was not fun. I thought I was going to hurl, though I didn’t. I almost didn’t go swimming, it was so bad. But I was glad I did because I felt much better afterwards.

Before I went swimming, I stopped by the department and got a paper and a test back, both of which I did really well on. I was so relieved but the last couple papers I got back I didn’t do very well. Thankfully, that changed. But anyways, after I went swimming I ran into my friend G. Yeah, I can’t say his name is Xhosa so he just told me to call him G. It was nice seeing him since he is one of the only people on campus that talks to me. I know its weird to already have regrets but I do regret not getting involved with anything on campus but I know really it makes sense because I’m so far away from campus.

But on with my story, it was nice to talk to him and I got to talk to some other students, which was also nice. Mostly we talked about class, nothing too exciting, though one guy was asking me about my accent which totally give me away. I hate that sometimes but people are pretty friendly so I guess it’s fine.

Then I went to class which was fine. We talked about rural Jamaicans and their perceptions of body image which I found really interesting since I’m part Jamaican (my grandfather immigrated to America). Sad as this may sound, the article made me appreciate my body more because Jamaicans find plumpness attractive and associate thinness with meanness, selfish, etc. I just found that really interesting.

Then came my tut, which I actually really enjoy now. I used to hate it but I love it now. Today we talked about what we are attracted to which I liked. Most of us girls liked the same thing: tall, dark and handsome. I don’t know it was just a really interesting conversation. When it was my turn, the tutor embarrassed me since I was basically describing Loren and smiling to myself J Then the tutor starting asking about famous guys we were attracted to and Columbus Short and Taye Diggs came up and I kinda lost it. I love them!

After that was my other tut which rarely happens because no one comes. Today it was just me and G and since Joe called me, I actually got to leave early and not wait until five to be picked up. So I gave the tutor my email and left. I meant to work, I did. It just didn’t happen. I didn’t really get any work done. It’s that time of the semester when you’ve almost done. I have two papers and five finals and then I’m done, yet I’m finding motivating myself fairly difficult. Such is life. Look for more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment