Wednesday, July 22, 2009

no class=lazy day

Shout out to my dad for his birthday. Happy birthday dad! So today was interesting. It was a rather lazy day since I had no classes. I woke up around noon (yeah, don’t hate). In my defence, I was up until two talking to Loren so it’s a little more acceptable, but only just a little. So I got up, made some breakfast which consisted of strawberry yogurt which I haven’t completely decided if I like yet and raisin mueslai which is basically granola with raisins in it. it’s like crack. I’m so addicted. I eat some of it then go reluctantly to the yogurt and back again to my drug of choice. I don’t know what it is. It’s just tasty.

After breakfast, I did my usual check my e-mail, Facebook, etc. and then I decided to see how it is outside. Bad idea. The door slams shut behind me leaving me standing outside in pjs with no keys. Luckily, I had stuck with phone in my pocket so I just called Andrea who of course is thirty minutes away and can’t help me, but she calls our maid, Uphonia (I have no idea it that’s how its spelled but that’s what it sounds like) and she lets me in. I felt pretty dumb but no real harm done, just time wasted.

Soon after I’m let back into the house, Amanda one of the UCT students returns. So really I could have just waited for her but there was no way I could have known that she would be back so quickly. I finally get dressed and decide to go running. Jamie had pointed out the UCT track and decided to go find it myself. It took a little longer than I would have hoped because it was farther away then I thought. I did eventually find it and did a mini speed workout. It was basically two 400s with a little jogging in between. I could have done more but since I only have the key to the gate and Amanda needed to be back on campus at 2, my workout had to short, which is really fine because I’m just now getting to run on a regular basis and I don’t want to overdo it. The run was good. I definitely got that feeling of ecstasy after a good run, which is a main reason why I run, that and the fact that I feel if I run enough I don’t have to worry about what I eat.

After my run, I relaxed and took a shower and then prepared lunch which was hamburgers on sweet rolls. Also tasty. I have to say I think I’m getting pretty good at this whole cooking thing. After eating, I read for my core class. Tomorrow we’re supposed to going to a township called Khayelitsha and talk about AIDS. Is it weird that I’m excited? Because I am, I think it’s going to be really interesting, though I have been warned that it’s really intense and my program director always cries when she goes, so we’ll see how that goes. I’m sorry today was really boring but I feel like I should write anyway.

Today I decided that my hair needed to get braided. It was supposed to get done on Sunday by Dominoque but that never happened. I did wash it though and basically rocked the mini fro (I feel like I said this already…). But anyways, I wanted to get it braided so I could go swimming. I still haven’t gotten to use UWC’s pool and its driving me crazy. I am planning to use it tomorrow though if and only if I finish the core class reading tonight. So the problem was I’m in a new country and I was really nervous about getting my hair done. It’s probably because the same woman has been doing my hair from like middle school on. She even did it before I left so yeah, the whole newness of having someone I don’t know do my hair made me nervous. Plus I didn’t know if they would for whatever reason take advantage of me because I obviously don’t know what I’m doing. So I did the whole thinking about in my head trying to convince myself that it’s no big deal, I can do this. But really I wanted someone to go with me just in case. I wasn’t going to make them stay the entire time mind you but still just so I felt better. That didn’t work out because Dominoque was as usually ignoring my txts and Adam was in transit and let’s face it, I’m impatient so I finally went got some money to make sure I had enough and went to the nearest hair salon, which was called Hair Bar, which I thought was pretty funny.

It wasn’t bad at all. The people at the front desk were really nice and I got in a chair almost as soon as I walked in. One thing that did make me nervous was the fact that the hair dresser kept on speaking a different language. I don’t think it was Xhosa because there weren’t any clicks but it just made me nervous because they could be making fun of me and of course, I’m helpless. I did relax a lot though when one of the women started singing Bob Marley. I couldn’t help but smile at that. I love Bob. So that eased me but then of course all the lights decided to randomly go off which freaked me out. The first thing I thought was omg, I’m going to die here or thinking someone might come up and grab me because it was completely dark outside so I couldn’t see a thing. But it was fine, the lights went on fairly quickly after they went off but it really got my adrenaline going because I had no idea what was going on. But no harm done. I got my hair done in under three hours, which was pretty good and you couldn’t beat the price. About twenty bucks whereas at home I usually pay 30. Right now, I’m alternating between writing a little and reading because for some reason I can’t get through it but the thought of swimming definitely helps so I guess I should get back to that. Peace y’all

No comments:

Post a Comment