Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So much to write, so little time (and sleep)

What a day. It started out well…sorta. I couldn’t sleep last night. I went to bed around 11:30pm after talking to Katie and Loren via Skype which is now my new best friend. I felt tried after hanging up with Katie but I still couldn’t sleep. Too many thoughts running through my head, plus I was really excited about today since it was orientation. So yeah, the whole sleeping thing didn’t work. But of course, it’s to be expected. There’s a seven hour time difference between here and home. It takes time to adjust. Andrea said that the second night was tougher and she was indeed right. And of course as soon as I got to sleep, my alarm rang at 7:45am since Ivan (our driver) was picking us up at 8:30am and I needed to shower.

And the shower didn’t go well. The hot water definitely did not work and unfornately I had gotten on facebook to write Loren a message and then Ashley messaged me, which I was really happy about. I’m going to make a conscious effort to stay in touch with people from home. But basically, I got distracted for a bit too long before I took and shower and got ready to go. It all worked out well though. Ivan arrived and we actually didn’t have to be at UWC until 9:30am (instead of 9am like we planned) so we went to McDonald’s of all places. I got coffee for once, since I barely slept. It helped a little but not as much as I liked to.
So right now I have so much to write but so little time. When am I going sleep? Probably when I’m dead and buried because I don’t want to sleep I just want to explore this beautiful city and all it has to offer.

I guess I’ll start with tonight since it’s so fresh in my time. Tonight the fabulous four (Jamie, Adam, Joe and me) went to Shop Rite for food so we could cook dinner. That was fun. I’m not exactly a good cook and actually none of us are cooks at all. We’re hoping the other students who are coming next week will be cooks and be able to help us. But we actually managed well. It took us a while to find pasta and sauce but we eventually did so that was our dinner. And of course, we’re in South Africa which is famous for its wine so we decided to try some. It was alright, I guess. I honestly know nothing about wine so its hard to judge but I guess I’ll be better at that eventually. I know it’s weird since in US we’re all underage, but I just really like the idea of sipping wine while having a meal. It was fun.

Moving on, I mean that was great and all. But the night got better. Jamie has some friends who go to Marquette (she’s from Wisconsin) and they are also going to UWC. I met some of them today. They’re seemed pretty cool. So tonight we decided to meet up with them at their house. It’s actually within walking distance of our house. So we made the ten minute trek to their house but actually it was probably more like a half an hour since we didn’t really know where we were going and got lost. But it all worked out well. We got the house, which is really nice but feels really cramped since there are a total of 19 people living there. It really makes me appreciate our living situation especially now. It’s just Jamie and I in a six bedroom house and Adam and Joe have an even bigger place to themselves. That’ll change in less than a week but since there won’t be 19 in one house.

Anyway, I met this girl during orientation who also goes to Marquette. It was funny because she was sitting alone staring out the window looking like she didn’t want to be there. So I did the whole argument in my head: I should go talk to her. No, that’s weird. But I’m in a different country, I should stretching myself. But…but…Yeah so I did and I’m really glad I did because after the initial awkwardness, we really hit it off. Her name is Dominique by the way. We basically became instant friends because we just share a lot in common. Same love for music and dancing and she loves Boondocks. So I mean, c’mon I love Boondocks. I can quote it and she knows what I’m talking about it.

I feel bad though because she really doesn’t get along with the other Marquette students and in a house with 19 people, I probably would hate it too. We have an extra room so perhaps she can hang out here so we have plenty of space, especially now.

Dominique, Adam and I just ended up hanging out at a bar, since she had met this bartender via her friend who used to go to Marquette or something like that. It was so much fun. They played great music (for the most part) so dancing was hard to resist. All the bartenders there were really cool. Oh, Dominic is the name of the bartender Dominique met. Yeah that’s right Dominic and Dominique. He was really great. We talked about critique, music, Jamaica, basically everything.

The plan was to go to Long Street which we honestly know nothing about since we’re still a bit new to this town (it’s my third night here) and at orientation they made it sound like an awful place where you don’t want to go. But it sounded interesting and especially since we’d be with Dominic. Unfornutaly that did not work out since Dominic was supposed to get off at 11pm and we definitely did not leave the bar until after 11:30pm. There was just complications since I was the only one who had keys for Jamie and I’s place. Blah, blah, blah. Basically it didn’t work, which is probably best because we still have not registered for classes. That’s supposed to happen tomorrow morning. Oy, morning I don’t even want to look at the clock because I know its late and I still have to wake up fairly early. Not as bad as yesterday but still early. Hopefully I’ll be able to sleep tonight. I have so much more to share but my bed calls to me. Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment